William Stewart Travel Awards
Established in 2002, the William Stewart Travel Awards provide grants of up to $500 to full-time assistant professors who first took up the position of CUNY assistant professor after July 2012. The award is for presenting, chairing or moderating at a scholarly conference from July 1, 2015 to June 30, 2016.
Previous award recipients who are otherwise eligible may apply but may get a lower award priority. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis and early applications get special consideration.
Applications must be sent via email and email attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We may not be able to fund all submitted expenses. Payment of the awards will be done through college business offices.
1. Applicants apply for the award either before or after they travel to the conference.
2. Applicants receive approval for the award from the CUNY Academy on a rolling basis for conferences that take place between July 1, 2015 and April 15, 2016.
3. Awardees provide the Academy with documentary evidence that they have presented, chaired or moderated at a scholarly conference from July 1, 2015 to April 1, 2016 by providing a copy of the conference program with the awardee’s name listed in his/her session.
4. On or about April 30, 2016, but not earlier than April 1, the CUNY Academy arranges for the transfer of award funds to the college business offices.
5. The Academy informs awardees that they may apply to their college business officd for reimbursement.
6. Awardees take a completed NYS travel voucher to their college business office in order to receive reimbursement for their conference expenses. Awardees must submit original receipts for registration, transportation, and lodging related to the conference; there is no per diem, and food is not included. Not all expenses can be covered.
The Award is valid only for the conference stated in the application.
The application form can be downloaded at
Professors Nora Glickman (GC & Queens College) and Stefan Baumrin (GC & Lehman) serve as the Awards Committee.
CUNY Academy for the Humanities